Monday, April 5, 2010

Holden Caulfied- complex, chaotic, complete?



I tried to find a really swell picture for you all, I swear I did, but they all looked like phonies. So this is all I got:

Origin and creator of pic unknown 

There was my bit of channeling Holden Caulfied. That name just makes me think 'Gosh, what a trip.' You see, Holden is one of those characters; the kind that everyone is so defensive of that if you represent one stitch of his sad little hat wrong, If you say fakes where he would have said phonies, then watch out. He's the kind of character people love because he's complex, yet everyone swears they have him figured out. Maybe they do, maybe my next sentence will prove me as one of those people just by default. But, I believe no one has or can figure Holden Caulfied out. Maybe not even his creator J.D. Salinger (the late, R.I.P, and whom this post in in honor of) because Holden is really a complex, brilliant, pathetic work of art; one of who's main purposes is to show that he cannot figure himself out. I've always viewed Holden as an anomaly; something best left as is. I don't try to put my ideas on him, or mold my views to be shown through him, because honestly this kid of a character can't handle them. If you haven't read The Catcher in the Rye, then this will make zero sense, and if you haven't-do. Simply for the fact that it is a classic. Do not regard it as the gem of all literature (unless you yourself believe it to be) and above all else, Do Not use it as a moral compass. Holden is that person you shake your head at, but appreciate. You do not support them, and never ever try to understand them. My sophomore year, I had the um..duty of reading The Catcher in the Rye and came away with mixed feelings, to say the least. I deemed it as a book that succeeded in depicting a lost youth, having a completely broken moral compass, and containing characters that are either inconstant, or being constantly in suspicion of having no point. But the one brilliant thing of The Catcher in the Rye is the one thing than can sum up all I doubt in it; it's messy- by design. It is not meant to be perfect, or even realistic. But it is mean to be ranting, constantly on the edge of sanity or morality (usually both). But with decisive, futile points. Somehow J.D. Salinger created perfect chaos, and that is why I celebrate him.


I just ordered the only other book in my library by Salinger, entitled Franny and Zooey; we'll see how this goes. Maybe I'll tell you about it, maybe not, because you know; you shouldn't 'tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.' Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails